Friday, September 24, 2010

Get your Canning on!

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1/2 bushel Tomatoes
3 Green Peppers chopped
3 Large Onions chopped
1/4 c. Salt (more or less given on your taste)
2 C. Vegetable Oil
2 T. Oregano
2 T. Garlic Powder
2 T. Basil
1 1/2 c. Sugar
8 small cans Tomato Paste

*Put Tomatoes in boiling water until the skins split. Peel the skins off and chop up and put in a pot. Add other ingredients and stir well. Simmer for 2 hours to blend all the spices and soften the peppers and onions. Let it cool and then put in Ziploc Freezer bags or other containers and Freeze.

* I got my tomatoes peeled and then put them in my Vitamix. It was awesome! Then I poured everything into my big Roaster Oven and got it to a boil and then simmered it on low for 2 hours. It worked out great! Super Easy, and VERY yummy. Great thing to make with all those tomatoes.


SALSA

9 Qt. Chopped Tomatoes (about 1/2 a bushel)
12-24 oz. Tomato paste (depending on how thick you like you salsa)
2 T. Cummin Powder
3 T. Oregano
2 T. Fresh Cilantro
Put into a large bowl and stir
In a pot add the following ingredients;
4 C. Chopped Peppers (no seeds)
5 c. Chopped yellow Onions
1/2 c. Jalapeno Pepper (no seeds)
6 cloves garlic or 6 T. Minced Garlic
2 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 T. Black Pepper
3 T. Salt
*Simmer all of these ingredients on the stove until onions and peppers are tender. Then mix this mixture with the tomato mixture.
Put into bottles. I steam can them for about 20-25 minutes.
*This is REALLY Yummy. It tasts fresh but is nice because it's bottled and stays good longer.


APPLESAUCE

Choose your favorite type of Apple. Last Year I did Golden Delicious and this year I did Gala. They were both great.
This year I peeled the apples and then just used an apple cutter and put the apples in a pot with about 2 inches of water in it. Steam until the apples get soft. Then, I put the soft apples in my Vitamix and blended until I got the consistency I wanted. I like it a little chunky but my daughter doesn't. Then I poured the blended apples into a pot on the stove. The recipe calls for 1/4 c. Sugar per pound of applesauce. I try to do the least amount of Sugar possible. I had 35 pounds of Apples and used I think 3 cups of Sugar for all of that and it was great. I like to use it for baby food so the least amount of Sugar the better. Add Sugar to the blended/ Mushed apples and stir on the stove until it comes to a boil. I let it boil for about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Then I put it into jars and steam can it for 20 minutes. It is SO yummy and So easy. This has become my new favorite thing to can. You can add Cinnamon and Sugar to it too. My cousin puts a fireball (hot jawbreaker) on the top of hers before she seals them and likes that. My kids just prefer plain old applesauce.

Last Year I left the skins on the apples. I cut them with an apple cutter and then steamed them until soft. Then, the ideal thing is to use a strainer that separates the skins and the apple. I have an attatchment for my kitchenaide that worked great, but the VitaMix was the best. Or you can just mush them yourself with a potato masher or whatever else you want to use.

Happy Canning!

1 comment:

Kacey said...

Awesome Savanna! Thank you! Thank you!!