Thursday, May 5, 2011

Salsa *Lauren Perry*

I am always skeptical to share this recipe. I never really measure it out when I make it, I just kinda go to taste. Its always a hit at parties, so it is hard for me to share a signature favorite... but I have had a few requests for it! I say "about" with the seasoning because you don't want to over do the seasoning until the salsa has had a chance to sit for an hour in the refrigerator. It takes a while for the seasonings to mix and be flavorful- so I always add a little bit more according to taste after it has had a chance to sit.

Ingredients
4-5 large ripe tomatoes
red onion (about 1/3 - 1/2 cup)
cilantro (a bunch! chopped)
lime juice (about 1/4 - 1/3 cup)
about 1 tsp ground cumin
about 1 TBS sugar
a few shakes of onion powder
2 shakes of garlic powder
a few good shakes of garlic salt (about 1 TBS)
about 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
about 1/8 tsp cayenne (or you can take 1 serrano chili and food process it really fine if you want it spicy, I like my salsa mild to medium though)


Directions
Take 4 tomatoes and slice them in 1/4 and throw them in your food processor and chop it up really good. You don't want to puree it, but you don't want HUGE chunks either)
Take 1 tomato slice it in 4, take the middle seeded part out and chop it by hand with smaller chunks.
Put the both sets of tomato in a bowl
in a food processor, mix up the red onion and a bunch of cilantro until finely chopped, add to tomato mixture in bowl
add cumin, sugar, garlic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, lime juice and cayenne (or the finely finely chopped serrano chili) and give a brief mix by hand.
Refrigerate for an hour and taste- adjust seasons accordingly. Add less seasoning ahead of time and adjust one the flavors have had time to sit together in the refrigerator

No comments: