Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thai Chicken Soup *Lauren Perry*

I have had a few requests for this recipe :)

It is very different, you have to really be open about the flavor. All of my family and friends that have tried this have thought it to die for.

I created this recipe on my own- from trial and error and taste. I tried a similar soup at the Thai Dishes restaurant in Santa Monica, Ca. The first bite I took of this soup, I literally gagged. But the taste stuck with me on the car ride home (my mom ordered it to go). I literally ate ALL of her soup the rest of the ride home.

I have never written down exact measurements- so you will have to bear with me. This soup is very worth it.

Ingredients-
-Lime Juice (I buy the bottled kind and probably use about 1/3-1/2 a cup)
-1 can of coconut milk
-2- 32 oz chicken broths (they come in the box's)
-about 10 FRESH shittake mushrooms- cleaned, stems removed, and sliced (don't buy the dried ones, you have to soak those for hours in water)
-3/4 cup to a cup of white rice
-2 large chicken breasts- cubed
-1 bunch of chopped green onions
-1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
-2 TBS of chopped lemon grass- (I HATE chopping lemon grass- its such a pain! I found this little tube in the herb isle, and it works sooo much better- https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&productId=390945&catalogId=10001&krypto=QJrbAudPd0vzXUGByeatog%3D%3D&ddkey=http:ProductDisplay
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
-season to taste with sugar (I probably use 2 Tbs), garlic salt (like 4-6 good shakes), pepper (2 good shakes), and red pepper flakes (1 good shake).

The soup is supposed to be a good blend of sour, spicy, and sweet :)

To cook- in a large pot, boil the broth. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, chopped and sliced ingredients, and seasoning.

No comments: